Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year

My family is not much into New Year resolutions, instead we tend to see something that needs doing and decide to do it- regardless of the date on the calendar.

However, a few years ago it occurred to me that I'm not normally brave enough to take a hard look and make goals for myself. Instead, I tend to push things aside and give myself the "I really should", or the "one of these days I'll..." speech. Obviously, that automatically means that nothing gets done. That year, I resolved to put time and energy into 2 friend relationships that were important to me. While both of those relationships ended being very toxic, I am still glad that I put my effort and care into them. I can never say that I didn't try.

So, without further ado, my goals:

1. Make my bed every day Even when I know that it will only get messed up in a few hours.

2. Make a dinner menu every month This goes such a long way in making my home run smoothly.

3. My speech I have a tendency to be critical. I'm a perfectionist, and I'm always working towards "the best". I think this frustrates my family when I don't focus on current accomplishments, but instead continuously look toward furthering "the best". At the very least, I need to learn to just keep my mouth shut

4. Accept the things I cannot change and probably more important to me personally is to let go. There are countless things that I cannot change, but I'm always trying to anyway. I'm always looking for that one crack that will make a difference. I always think that if things can be talked about, they can be worked out. To let go goes against my "never give up" personality, and will be very difficult for me. However, I've spent years of my life trying to fix and change and mend things that I have no control over. It's time to move on.

5. focus on my mind, body, and spirit In other words, the things I do have control over and that I can change.
Mind: same as #4, focus on recognizing what I cannot change and letting go
Body: Making time and effort to exercise, making time and effort to take a shower, get nicely dressed, hair and makeup. In other words, don't fall into "frumpy stay-at-home mom" looks!
Spirit:My spiritual journey is mine to invest in. My children's is mine to guide. I will invest the time and energy. Even when it is hard.

A New Year, a fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment